The good news is that this proposed valuation can be appealed. The deadline to file a First Level Review Request is March 31, 2013. Once this form is filed with the City of Philadelphia Office of Property Assessment, the standard process with the City of Philadelphia is as follows.
When filling out the First-Level Review Request you must do the following:
- Check off the boxes that apply to your reason for requesting a review.
- Provide additional reasons as to why your assessment should be reviewed. This should be expressed clearly and typed if possible.
- You need to provide what you believe the proper assessment should be.
- You need to check off the preferred method for a response from the City of Philadelphia.
- Remember to complete the reverse side of your form if your real estate is an income producing property.
Once the form is returned to the City of Philadelphia:
- The form is sent to the evaluator of your property.
- The evaluator will contact you per your requested form of communication either phone, email or U.S. mail. I recommend you request mail or email so you have a paper trail.
- If you are not able to resolve the matter, the next step is to file a formal appeal, which is due by Monday, October 7, 2013.
If you need help appealing your Philadelphia real estate tax assessment, please call David W. Edelman at Spadea & Associates, LLC in Ridley Park, Pennsylvania at 610-521-0604.