Making Federal Estimated Tax Payments

A picture of a tax return form

I often get phone calls from clients asking how to calculate estimated federal and state income tax payments. The payment for the first quarter estimate is due on April 15th.
In general, estimated taxes must be paid on any income which is not subject to withholding, including taxable income from self-employment, interest, dividends, alimony, gambling winnings, unemployment compensation, social security, rent, and gains from the sale of assets. You may also have to pay estimated tax if the amount of income tax being withheld from your salary, social security, pension or other income is not enough to cover your tax due. Estimated tax is used to pay income tax and self-employment tax, as well as other taxes reported on your personal income tax return. If you do not pay enough tax, either through withholding or estimated tax, or a combination of both, you may have to pay a penalty. You may be charged a penalty even if you are due a refund when you file your return. Estimated tax payments are made in four quarterly installments and can be based on a regular tax method or an annualized income installment method.

If you choose not to use the “Regular installment method”, the annualized installment method allows you to compute your estimated tax based on actual income earned in each of four specific periods. As a result, tax on income which is seasonally earned will not be paid until the period in which it is earned. For example, if a significant percentage of your income is earned in the last quarter of the year, then utilizing the annualized income installment method will allow you to defer the payment of tax on this income to the final quarter as opposed to paying the tax on this amount in equal installments throughout the year.

In general, under the regular installment method, the required annual payment which is paid quarterly through estimated taxes (if no tax is withheld) is the smaller of 1) 90% of the current year’s total expected tax or 2) 100% of the tax shown on the prior year return. Note that if your last year’s Adjusted Gross Income was over $150,000 ($75,000 for married filing separately); the safe harbor is 110%. Adjusted Gross Income refers to all taxable income less certain deductions such as your SEP/IRA/Other Retirement Plan contributions, alimony payments, deductible health insurance premiums paid for self-employed individuals, moving expense deductions, deductible tuition, student loan interest and fees and self-employment tax deductions.

Timing of Payments, Penalty for Underpayment

The year is divided into four payment periods for estimated tax purposes. Each period has a specific payment due date. Note that if you do not pay enough tax by the due date for each period, you may be charged a penalty through the date any underpayment remains outstanding even if you are due a refund upon filing your income tax return. The penalty is equal to the interest rate charged on tax deficiencies (3% per year as of January 20, 2015) on the amount of the installment underpayment from the date the installment is due until the earlier of the date the underpayment is made up for April 15th of the next year. Thus, generally the penalty for underpayment of an estimate is equivalent to paying the IRS non-deductible interest.

The specific due dates for estimated tax payments are as follows:

Period Due Date
January 1 – March 31 April 15
April 1 – May 31 June 15
June 1 – August 31 September 15
September 1 – December 31 January 15 of following year

Here are tips worth considering about estimated taxes and how to pay them.

  1. As a general rule, you must pay estimated taxes in 2015 if both of these statements apply: 1) You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax after subtracting your tax withholding and tax credits, and 2) You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of 90% of your 2015 taxes or 100% of the tax on your 2014 return. There are special rules for farmers, fishermen, certain household employers and certain higher income taxpayers.
  2. For Sole Proprietors, LLC Members, Partners and S Corporation shareholders, you generally have to make estimated tax payments if you expect to owe $1,000 or more in tax when you file your return.
  3. To figure your estimated tax, include your expected gross income, taxable income, taxes, deductions and credits for the year. You can use the worksheet in Form 1040ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals for this, or just email me your year to date Profit and Loss and I will help you.

The easiest way to pay estimated taxes is electronically through the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System or EFTPS. You can also pay estimated taxes by check or money order using 1040ES – Estimated Tax Payment Voucher or by credit or debit card, but I do not advise using your credit card due to the expensive service charge. If you have any questions please email or call Gregory J. Spadea at 610-521-0604 of Spadea & Associates, LLC in Ridley park, Pennsylvania

What Should I Do If I Am Missing My W-2?

Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement closup
In order to prepare your 2012 tax return, you will need your W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, which your employer should send to you by mail by the end of January. If you have not received your W-2, follow these three steps:

1. Contact your employer first. Ask your employer to mail your W-2 and make sure your employer has your correct address.

2. Contact the IRS. After February 14, you may call the IRS at 800-829-1040 if you have not yet received your W-2. Be prepared to provide your name, address, social security number and phone number. You should also have the following information when you call:

  • Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
  • Your dates of employment; and
  • An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld, based upon your final pay stub or any records you have available.

3. File your return on time. You should still file your tax return on or before April 15, 2013, even if you have not yet received your W-2. File Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, in place of your W-2. Use the form to estimate your income and withholding taxes. However, the IRS may delay processing your return while it verifies your information.

If you need more time to file you can get a six-month extension of time by filing Form 4868, on or before April 15.

If you receive the missing W-2 after filing your tax return and the information on the W-2 is different from what you reported using Form 4852, then you must amend your tax return by filing Form 1040X.

If you have any questions or need help filing your taxes please call Gregory J. Spadea of Spadea & Associates, LLC in Ridley Park, Pennsylvania at 610-521-0604.

What is Spousal Support and or Child Support and How Much Do I Need To Pay?

Writing A Check
Divorce/Separation and Spousal Support:  There are three types of spousal support.  The first two are support and alimony pendent lite (APL).  The third is alimony.

Spousal support obligation arises out of the marriage relationship.  Support may be awarded prior to the commencement of divorce proceedings and during the separation/estranged phase.  Alimony pendent lite (APL) can only be awarded after the commencement of divorce proceedings but prior to a divorce decree.  The main difference between the two is the timing of the filing for divorce and the defenses that may be claimed.  Generally there are no defenses to a claim for APL while a person may have a defense precluding a spouse from asserting the need for spousal support.  Defenses that may be asserted as grounds for divorce are also defenses to spousal support such as adultery and cruel and barbarous treatment.  Therefore, a spouse that has committed adultery may not be entitled to receive support during the separation phase but could quite possible receive APL once the divorce action is filed.

Spousal support and APL are calculated the same.  The formula takes into consideration the Obligor’s net monthly income minus support payments obligor may have as result of other dependents or former spouses minus child support payments from current litigation minus obligee’s net monthly income multiplied by thirty (30%) percent.  If the parties have no children or child support orders the number would be multiplied by forty (40%) percent.  This formula has been adjusted to require the court to consider the length of marriage in determining its award.  The primary purpose of this provision is to prevent the unfairness that arises in a short-term marriage when the obligor is required to pay support over a substantially longer period of time than the parties were married and there is little or no opportunity for credit for these payments at the time of equitable distribution.

The third type of support is alimony.  The purpose of alimony is to effect economic justice, but it is a secondary remedy and applies only if economic justice cannot be achieved by way of equitable distribution.  This type of an award is rendered post divorce decree to achieve such justice.  There is no formula Pennsylvania courts use to assist in its award.  Rather courts will rely on the seventeen subjective factors listed in 23 Pa. C.S.A. § 3701 (b).  Some of those factors are: length of the marriage; the ages and physical, mental and emotional conditions of the parties; sources of income of the parties; earning capacities of the parties; the earning powers of the parties and the relative needs of the parties.

Child Support: These are payments due to the support of the child regardless of marital status.  Pursuant to federal law, The Family Support Act of 1988 (P. L. 100-485, 102 Stat. 2343 (1988), requires all states to have statewide child support guidelines.

The guidelines take into consideration the parents’ net monthly income.  Once that figure has been determined the guidelines state what the support payments are monthly.  The total payments increase with each child.  The parties are responsible for that suggested guideline figure.  That total figure will be divided according to the percentage of time the child is with their respective parent.  These figures can also be reduced if there are any ongoing support obligations.  Any deviations are based upon a case by case basis.

If you have any questions or need a divorce attorney contact Spadea & Associates, LLC at 610-521-0604.   We suggest you bring your W-2 and last three pay stubs when you come for you free consultation.

© 2024 The Law Offices of Spadea & Associates. All Rights Reserved. Sitemap | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy by VPS Marketing Agency, LLC